Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ch Ch Ch Chia!


No… not the pet chia.  Well not really.  Chia is the cousin of the chia plant (pets).  I first heard about chia seeds from reading Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet book.  While that was sometime ago, I just recently picked up a bag at PCC.  I'm addicted!  Chia seeds are packed with fiber and omega-3's.  They are tiny gray-black seeds -that I often find stuck in my teeth hours later - that you can eat on their own right out of the bag or throw them in smoothies or cereal or yogurt.  I think they have a bit of a nutty taste, but very mild.  Almost like you are eating sesame seeds.  One serving of chia seeds contain 4.2 grams of dietary fiber, mostly insoluble which is great for stabilizing blood sugar levels.  No more ups and downs!  It keeps you feeling full because it absorbs so much of it's weight in water.  I guess you can use it as an egg substitute too!  For now though I'll just stick to dipping my spoon in :)  



Try it out and let me know what you think! 

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment